Little girls love butterfly decor. This simple butterfly decor craft idea is easily tailored to your child’s favorite colors and can be modified for various uses. For a more vibrant butterfly decoration, be sure to paint all white areas with color. Let the butterfly decoration fly by tying a piece of fishing line or yarn around the neck and suspend from the ceiling.
Visit www.treasureboxkids.com for children’s clothing and ideas. Be sure to look through our archived blog posts for more activities, crafts, tips and birthday party ideas.
What you need for the coffee filter crafts:
- Paper coffee filter
- 1/2 black pipe cleaner stem
- Water color paints
- Paint brush and water
How to make butterfly coffee filter crafts:
- Flatten the coffee filter and place it on a plate or newspaper to paint as the water will soak through. Set aside on paper towels to dry.
- Fold the coffee filter accordion style, with 1/2″ pleats.
- Fold the pipe cleaner in half and twist the stem around the filter to secure it in place.
- Bend the tips of the pipe clean stems over about 1/4″ to create the antennae.
- Fan out the butterfly wings.
- If desired, hand with yarn or fishing line.
Tissue Paper Crafts
Inexpensive and simple tissue paper crafts are versatile ways to decorate for your next party, patio or room. Tissue paper crafts are easy for young hands to work with to help them participate in your celebration. These tissue paper party pom poms make really fun ceiling decorations for a girl’s bedroom or they can be hung from trees for an outdoor party.
Tissue Paper Crafts
Ceiling decorations are a great craft activity to take home from birthday parties as well. Visit www.treasureboxkids.com for children’s clothing and ideas. Be sure to look through our archived blog posts for more activities, crafts, tips and birthday party ideas.
What you need for each tissue paper art pom pom:
- 9 sheets of tissue paper (20″x25″)
- 1 pipe cleaner
- 36″ piece of string or fishing line
- Thumb tack
How to make tissue paper art pom pom:
- Stack 9 pieces of tissue paper on top of each other. Alternate colors however you like.
- Fold sheets accordion style, with 1.5″ folds, beginning at the 20″ end.
- Loosely wrap the pipe cleaner stem around the center of the folded tissue paper and twist once.
- Tie the end of the piece of string around the pipe cleaner by tucking it underneath the pipe cleaner and tying it around in a knot (See above photo).
- Continue wrapping the pipe cleaner around until completely wrapped.
- Use scissors to trim the ends of the tissue paper. Use round or pointed cuts.
- Lay the tissue paper in front of you and start separating the layers, one by one. Continue separating the layers until finished (See above photo).
- Hang from the ceiling with a thumb tack.